February 26, 2012

Birdseed Cupcakes


It's for the birds.. literally. Super simple birdseed cupcakes, complete with ribbon hanger. (And the birds can use the ribbon for their nests--it's a fact)

*Update: once my cupcakes dried, they didn't stay together quite as well as I'd wanted (especially since my original plan was to make a birdseed wreath)..I think overall the cupcakes should be fine, but I think adding the ingredients below (bolded) will work better for the wreath at least.

Here's what you'll need:


4 cups Birdseed
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
warm water
cupcake tray
Cooking spray
thin ribbon
Scissors

Estimate the length of ribbon you'll need. Tie the ends in a knot. You'll need one for each cupcake. Approximately 24.
Pour packet of gelatin into a bowl. Add 1/2 cup warm water and stir until dissolved. Stir in corn syrup and flour.

Add 4 cups of birdseed and stir. Mixture will get stickier as you continue to stir.
Spoon into greased  cupcake tray. Use a knife to wedge the ribbon deep into each cupcake. Add additional seed and press firmly.


Allow to sit until dry.

When ready, they should slide out of the tray with ease.

Hang in your trees and enjoy the visitors! So cute and the birds will love them too!


*Update: wreath to come.. hopefully it will work this time. Stay tuned!


Finally-- SUCCESS! the new recipe (above) is wayyyy better than the first, it's like super glue! (I hope these aren't famous last words) When I read about doing this, it suggested using a decorative bundt cake pan and I have to say, the examples I saw were quite pretty. BUT, I don't have a bundt pan or anything decorative for that matter, so I turned to a disposable round foil pan instead.

To create the hole, I used a drinking glass turned it upside down. Be sure to grease both the pan and the edge of the glass.


Scoop your mixture in and press firmly- really give it a good smush!


Keep smushing!


Let it sit overnight. It may look a little white and it should slide right out of the pan.


Add a fancy bow! I used unwired polka dot ribbon with the wired green sheer ribbon. It really dresses it up and makes it a great gift option.


I LOVE the sunflower- it makes it so pretty and springy!


Much better than the first crumbled attempt! Hopefully it can also withstand some wind!


No comments:

Post a Comment